Re: Learning

>>>>> "William" == William Lee Irwin <wli@holomorphy.com> writes:

William> On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 09:59:35AM +0200, Zwane Mwaikambo wrote:
>> Hehehe everyone knows it all about boot times and application startup
>> times ;) once stuff is open, we can go back to being sloths =)
>> ahh the Microsoft Mindset...

William> Well, consider it briefly for a moment:

William> Q1: what takes the most time during boot?
William> A1: inefficient userspace initialization
William> 	but worse yet, firmware stuff

We don't (re)boot :)

William> Q2: what takes the most time during application startup?
William> A2: disk accesses

William> A1 and A2 have some impact on what could perhaps be considered
William> important (to some people) aspects of performance. For instance,
William> boot times contribute to some rather large latencies important
William> to clustering folk.

  "Using a cluster to hide the fact that the underlying systems crash
  regularly is an extremely dangerous way to manage a computing
  environment."

                              -- Matt Dillon

William> LinuxBIOS (or other strategies for replacing inefficient firmware with
William> performant firmware) certainly sounds like a good strategy for (1).

William> At any rate, the filesystem profiling + defragmentation doesn't
William> seem like a bad idea at all, though I'm wondering how much of it could
William> be driven from userspace. Probably the minimal kernel support needed
William> would be some kind of inode-based access profiling. So (2) perhaps
William> also has an answer.

Defragmentation may result as a side effect of online logical volume
resizing effort.