Re: Learning

On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 09:59:35AM +0200, Zwane Mwaikambo wrote:
> Hehehe everyone knows it all about boot times and application startup
> times ;) once stuff is open, we can go back to being sloths =)
> ahh the Microsoft Mindset...

Well, consider it briefly for a moment:

Q1: what takes the most time during boot?
A1: inefficient userspace initialization
	but worse yet, firmware stuff

Q2: what takes the most time during application startup?
A2: disk accesses

A1 and A2 have some impact on what could perhaps be considered
important (to some people) aspects of performance. For instance,
boot times contribute to some rather large latencies important
to clustering folk.

LinuxBIOS (or other strategies for replacing inefficient firmware with
performant firmware) certainly sounds like a good strategy for (1).

At any rate, the filesystem profiling + defragmentation doesn't
seem like a bad idea at all, though I'm wondering how much of it could
be driven from userspace. Probably the minimal kernel support needed
would be some kind of inode-based access profiling. So (2) perhaps
also has an answer.

Cheers,
Bill