Re: Learning

On 23 Jan 2002, Momchil Velikov wrote:

> William> Q1: what takes the most time during boot?
> William> A1: inefficient userspace initialization
> William> 	but worse yet, firmware stuff
>
> We don't (re)boot :)

I think you both have different target systems in mind here, i can see
William's concern for it especially for embedded devices.

> William> Q2: what takes the most time during application startup?
> William> A2: disk accesses

I wouldn't really blame disk access for that one, unless your program
requires a great amount of it's core in memory, loading at page fault
saves us a lot here. Now if only we had page fault readahead...

> William> A1 and A2 have some impact on what could perhaps be considered
> William> important (to some people) aspects of performance. For instance,
> William> boot times contribute to some rather large latencies important
> William> to clustering folk.

I don't see how boottimes will help you here, unless the box takes aeons
to boot, 1minute and 5minutes are essentially the same thing.

>   "Using a cluster to hide the fact that the underlying systems crash
>   regularly is an extremely dangerous way to manage a computing
>   environment."
>
>                               -- Matt Dillon

Was this by any chance in reference to Microsoft's clustering software?

> Defragmentation may result as a side effect of online logical volume
> resizing effort.

Once again, this is more for the enterprise market.

Cheers,
	Zwane Mwaikambo