How to make a char device into a block device.

I have a char device that I want to make mountable. mount
complains that /dev/cpqpjb is not a block device. I have tried using
a loopback device to convert my char device into a block device. I did
this by typing
   mount -t myfs -o loop=/dev/loop2 /dev/char_device ./mnt/test_fs
That does not seem to work as I get ioctl: LOOP_SET_FD: device or
resource busy.

Is there any way I can temporay make the char device into a block device
without rewriting the char devices code?

Thanks.
--
Eric
"...I think that if your editor can't put a row of sharps down the left,