Zero-copy NFS and sendfile

Hi all,

NFS:

Is there any zero-copy for sockets and/or NFS patches available for Linux as it is available for FreeBSD with using special hardware?

See http://people.freebsd.org/~ken/zero_copy/ for details.

Sendfile:

I know that sendfile suppose to be zero-copy based.  What are the best scenarios in which using sendfile can really improve performance? Is it better when you stream very large file and data is not in cache or is it better for cases in which data is already in cache? Or is it just always better?

If I understand correctly, at least for the sending side, there is no need for special hardware, am I right?

Any information or pointers to docs will be highly appreciated.

Cheers,

Ephi

.