Re: Reload IPtables

Am 27.06.21 um 22:12 schrieb Kerin Millar:
On Sun, 27 Jun 2021 12:56:18 -0700
Stephen Satchell <list@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 6/27/21 12:07 PM, Kerin Millar wrote:
Use of shell redirection is optional in this case but I would caution
against making it a habit in conjunction with the use of sudo.

I believe your statement is not distribution-safe.  Red Hat's
implementation of ip[6]tables-restore does not implement reading a file.
   Ubuntu's implementation of ip[6]tables-restore does.

This observation is backed up by viewing "iptables-restore -h".

That said, I suspect that Debian would use substantially the same
version of iptables-restore that Ubuntu does, so your observation would
be applicable.

Debian 10 was mentioned but yes, it has not always been possible to supply a pathname as an argument. For those with an older userspace, the problem can thus be avoided by simply running `sudo -i` to obtain an interactive root shell or by running `sudo sh -c 'iptables-restore < my.rules'`, among other methods

the real solution is get rid of that stupid "sudo" in front of every single line and use a root shell when you use administrative commands

especially when the final goal is writing scripts
that's why we have tabs for different sessions these days