Re: Reload IPtables

On 6/27/21 12:07 PM, Kerin Millar wrote:
Use of shell redirection is optional in this case but I would caution
against making it a habit in conjunction with the use of sudo.

I believe your statement is not distribution-safe. Red Hat's implementation of ip[6]tables-restore does not implement reading a file. Ubuntu's implementation of ip[6]tables-restore does.

This observation is backed up by viewing "iptables-restore -h".

That said, I suspect that Debian would use substantially the same version of iptables-restore that Ubuntu does, so your observation would be applicable.

(I spend two decades in the Red Hat universe. Then CentOS happened. Moving all my servers to Ubuntu server edition.)