Re: Log statement seems to be not working

nft 0.8.2 logging worked for me for the couple of weeks I used it. 4.4.120 is
recent (-rw-r--r-- 1 ... Mar  5 00:58 ChangeLog-4.4.120).

4.4 is a long term support (LTS) kernel originally released in January 2016. At
that time, nftables 0.5 was current.

Because you have the same behaviour with such different nftables releases, it
really does look like the problem lies elsewhere.

I would try a few logger commands to make sure logging works on that box at all.