Re: Is p-o-m still the correct thing to use?

Thanks a lot for the help, Andrew. The iptables source I have doesn't have a configure script...oh, but it does have an autogen script. I guess I was probably supposed to use that first. But it's a moot point, apparently, because of xtables, so I will be switching to that.

Thanks,
-Brian

Andrew Schulman wrote:
The latest version of POM seems to be from 2004, and I saw some references in the mailing list archive seeming to indicate that is' being deprecated, but is there anything to replace it?

For POM-ng, if you look in the snapshot directory of the FTP server, you'll find
daily versions up to yesterday.  However, I recently tried to use on of those to
install the condition patch, and it failed for reasons that I wasn't able to
figure out in 30 mins. or so of research.

POM has now been superseded by xtables-addons
(http://jengelh.medozas.de/projects/xtables/).  Unfortunately the netfilter site
hasn't been updated yet to reflect this.  Discussion threads on that in this
forum within the last week:

  POM Xtables???
  patch-0-matic problems..?

At first I was annoyed at yet another big change in netfilter patching, but
xtables-addons is better because it doesn't require you to patch either your
kernel or iptables.

I'd really like to patch in TARPITs, but the latest POM does not work with the latest iptable src ("doesn't look like a iptables source code directory to me.")

You have to run ./configure in your iptables source dir first.  Not sure if that
used to be the case-- I think it wasn't.

That gets to wny I always used to hate using POM.  It was unique and volatile--
about once a year someone would change something and my script would break and
I'd have to go back and figure it all out again.  Good riddance, I say.

Good luck,
Andrew.