Re: "DNAT" w/o changing source address?

On Thu, 2007-10-04 at 14:12 -0500, Grant Taylor wrote:
> On 10/04/07 10:52, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> > It does matter. Granted, maybe should I say "broadcast domain" instead
> > of "subnet" but they usually overlap. A router can be used as a gateway
> > in a route only if it is directly reachable, which implies it is in the
> > same subnet/broadcast domain. You mentionned bridging, which also
> > implies the same broadcast domain.
>
> You are correct.  However I should have been a bit more specific in that
> I don't think that it will matter either way as I think a solution for
> either config can be developed.  Thus it does not matter what it is
> because both can probably be solved.  As far as what the solution is,
> yes it does matter.

Well thanks all for the tips and pointing out what I was doing wrong
here.  I've decided to throw the whole thing out the window -- I'll be
pulling the separate load balancer box out of the picture, moving the
installation of Pound to the mail server itself, and just changing
$EXTIP's hostname to be an alias for $MAILSERVER.  Things will be much
simpler, but not nearly as sexy.  I suppose it'll do. :)

Thanks again,
  John

--
John Madden