Re: Restricting applications/protocols to use specific ports using iptables, is this possible

On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 07:00:31PM +0200, Elvir Kuric wrote:
> Hi all,  I realised that I did not ask question on right way in my
> last mail to this list. I am trying to find  out some tool or whatever
> else to open in input and output chain only ports I need, I mean to
> control which ports are open.
> In other words to have evidence which ports are open and why. Maybe
> this is funny for more experience users, but I asked this question
> here because I thought that iptables can help / and maybe can, but I
> do not know that :).

Netfilter can help you here, but if I wanted to learn, I'd use tcpdump
and/or wireshark. An "ACCEPT and log" rule in iptables might help as
well.

Generally, the port from which a connection originates does only
matter in exceptional cases.

Greetings
Marc

Nordisch by Nature |  How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 3221 2323190