Re: Restricting applications/protocols to use specific ports using iptables, is this possible

On 6/4/07, Marc Haber <mh+netfilter@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 01:37:07PM +0200, Elvir Kuric wrote:
> I am interested in one thing, is possible using iptables software
> limit particular application/protocol to use/bind to particular ports.

Why do you want to do that?

:) I want to control which ports are open in output chain. Testing, exploring.

I know it is not important which ports are open in output chain,
usually putting output policy to accept.

> For example I want to send all reqestes from my machine using ports I
> specify, not random ones,

Why?

>  or accept ping echo-replay on specific ports.

Pleas get your facts straight. ICMP does not have ports.

ICMP was just example, first on my mind in that moment :)

Regards

Elvir Kuric

Greetings
Marc

Nordisch by Nature |  How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 3221 2323190