Re: ..prevention, was: syn DDoS attack solution

On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 11:40:36 -0400, Steven wrote in message
<030f37e8000023b8@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> > On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 10:16:40 -0400, Steven wrote in message
> > <46657048.4040600@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> >

> > > And, most important for folks here, do egress filtering on your
> > > firewall!    Help prevent zombie machines on your own networks from
> > > being a problem, you can't stop your end users from bringing infections
> > > into your network but you can control their spread.
> > >

> > ..what tricks _are_ out there?  Set up some kinda p0f deamon and
> > cut 'n tarpit any and all Wintendo network traffic attempts?
> > Or even feed them LROS thru ActiveX if they need firm hints?
> >

> Not really very tricky, limit outbound traffic to what is needed.   Do
> all of your workstations need UDP ports outbound?  Smtp?    For a lot of
> sites the average workstations internet requirements are very small,
> especially if proxys are used for SMTP,HTTP,FTP, etc.  Just by blocking
> most of the end users from direct internet access (or at least to a
> small set of outbound protocol/ports) we render those machines pretty
> useless to the bad guys.

..no problem, GNU/Linux only /25 shop here.

..but I also want to deny all windroids access to internet and make
them fetch and use some safe os off my (Debian etc) lan mirror, before
I allow them outbound.  Just a wee wifi spot biz idea, but if Microsoft
can't secure their "OS", HTFAISTDI?  ;o)

> It does, however, become very tricky if it's not done up front.  It's
> really really tough to figure out what the requirements are if anyone
> could historically do anything they wanted.    It's far better to
> seriously restrict things up front and put in the exceptions as you find
> them.   Sites that have historically allowed all outbound traffic are a
> two fold problem, it's hard to fix and they are exactly the sorts of
> sites the bad guys like to use.

..aye, but easy if it's your net, just enforce your ban on Wintendo.
Now, I'm GNU+Linux only shop and have no recent Wintendo experience
since early 1998, I had Wintendo95 and ran away, so I look for pointers
on "ID their OS first, then chk if they have paid my bill and deserve
access."

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: