Re: https permit/deny

On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 15:42 -0300, Leonardo Rodrigues Magalhães wrote:

> vects escreveu:
> > On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 14:45 -0300, Leonardo Rodrigues Magalhães wrote:
> >
> >>     Never used l7 for doing that kind of filtering, dont know if it's
> >> possible.
> >>
> >>     Anyway, if you need some hard filtering based on URLs, both http and
> >> https, i would recommend that you use an http/https proxy, just like
> >> squid, for doing that.
> >>
> >>     Completly block https (TCP/443) traffic with iptables and get your
> >> clients for use an http/https proxy and does the filtering there. I'm
> >> pretty convinced it will be easier and you'll have a lot more
> >> flexibility on the rules. Squid's ACLs are pretty flexible, you should
> >> give it a try.
> >>
> > Does it work in transparent mode ( I mean for https)?
> > I just can't tell all clients to use squid by phone, https filtering
> > must be hidden for them. As I know the latest squid supports totally
> > transparent mode, is that working for https also?
> >

>     httpS simply cant be treated in completly transparent modes, because
> that would be detected as a 'man-in-the-middle' attack by the browser
> and would break the end-to-end criptography that SSL/TLS uses.
agree.

>     http can be completly transparent, but https cannot.
I have to find some other solution for my task, sounds like iptables
with l7 is the one for me.
Does somebody know another list I can ask for help?

>     Anyway, if you search the archives, you'll find that it's a common
> opinion that iptables it not the right place, even with layer7 patches,
> to do complex layer7 filtering. It can even do some application
> filtering, but it's not supposed for replacing application proxy tools,
> just like squid for http/https. Complex rules can be applied in an
> easier and more flexible way in the application layer, with an
> appropriate application proxy.
As I said I have some condition, I can't contact customers and ask them
to define proxy server, this prevents me to use application proxy for
https.

Thanks, Alexc