Countermeasures for SYN flood and DDoS attacks

Hello,

I am looking to add protection to my linux and iptables based firewall specifcially for SYN flood and DDoS attacks to start with and, to that end, was trawling through the archives of this mailing lists and other places Mr. Google suggested I visit.

Unfortunately, what I found suggests that there is some debate about how best to approach this.

Specifically, many postings suggest using a 'limit' match such as...

-A INPUT -p tcp --syn -j syn-flood
-A FORWARD -p tcp --syn -j syn-flood
-A syn-flood -m limit --limit 100/second --limit-burst 150 -j RETURN
-A syn-flood -j LOG --log-prefix "SYN flood: "
-A syn-flood -j DROP

...or testing for TCP flag combinations...

-A INPUT -j syn-flood
-A FORWARD -j syn-flood
-A syn-flood-i -p tcp --tcp-flags ALL ACK,RST,SYN,FIN -j DROP
-A syn-flood-i -p tcp --tcp-flags SYN,FIN SYN,FIN -j DROP
-A syn-flood-i -p tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST SYN,RST -j DROP

....but other postings say that such rules will not help and in fact may even themselves act as a kind of internal DoS!

Here are a couple of example postings on this topic:
1) http://www.webhostingtalk.com/archive/index.php/t-355411.html
2) http://forums.devshed.com/security-and-cryptography-17/iptables-syn-flood-rule-for-a-busy-webserver-277224.html

So my question is, has there been a resolution to this debate? If so, what was the result?

Thanks,

- Andrew Kraslavsky

Add fun gadgets and colorful themes to express yourself on Windows Live Spaces http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://www.get.live.com/spaces/features