Question related to DROP target?

Hi people, I wrote some rules in my firewal like
bellow.
When I started it blocked my all connections, and I
realised that ( <#iptables -P INPUT DROP
#iptables -P OUTPUT DROP
#iptables -P FORWARD DROP ) blocking everything.So I
put in comment.  I am confused because this rule is at
beggining of firewal and I do not understand why rules
that comes after are not implemented. I want to block
all traffic first and theh allow specified trafic.
Please I need your opinions, I read many sources and I
understand what above rules means, but I can not
understand why rules after does not working.
Regards

PS : Links and other resources are welcome too

Thanks

Elvir Kuric

iptables -F
iptables -t nat -F
iptables -t mangle -F

iptables -X
iptables -t nat -X
iptables -t mangle -X

#iptables -P INPUT DROP
#iptables -P OUTPUT DROP
#iptables -P FORWARD DROP

iptables -A INPUT -s 127.0.0.1/255.0.0.0 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -d 127.0.0.1/255.0.0.0 -j ACCEPT

iptables -A INPUT -m state --state
NEW,ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE
#iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth1 -j SNAT
--to-source ip_adresa

iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT