iptables and mac filtering

Hi there. Please help with strange issuse. I have debian woody with
2.6.12 kernel + iptables.1.3.3. (unstable) under vmware workstation. I
try to block connection to my PPPoE server (rp-pppoe) by mac-address of
client. something like

#iptables -I INPUT -m mac --mac-source blablag -j DROP

. Line inserted showed by iptables -L -v -n but not block any IP-less
requests from address specified. Ping or any IP protocols blocking
success, but pppoe discovery, exchange and traffic pass the filter
wthout any problem with no rule countr increment. How i can fix this
thing? Or what i to do wrong?