Re: iptables and mac filtering

vlad f halilow wrote:

Hi there. Please help with strange issuse. I have debian woody with
2.6.12 kernel + iptables.1.3.3. (unstable) under vmware workstation. I
try to block connection to my PPPoE server (rp-pppoe) by mac-address of
client. something like

#iptables -I INPUT -m mac --mac-source blablag -j DROP

. Line inserted showed by iptables -L -v -n but not block any IP-less
requests from address specified. Ping or any IP protocols blocking
success, but pppoe discovery, exchange and traffic pass the filter
wthout any problem with no rule countr increment. How i can fix this
thing? Or what i to do wrong?

You said it yourself.  These are IP-less requests.  They never make
it up to the protocol levels where iptables operates.  Yes, iptables
can match on MAC addresses, but if the packet is handled entirely
at the Data Link layer (MAC sublevel), iptables will never see it.

--
Bob Nichols         Yes, "NOSPAM" is really part of my email address.