Re: Why would certain packets not reach nat PREROUTING chain?

Jozsef Kadlecsik wrote:
>>> Just as a last resort. But the problem is so strange, I can't recall any
>>> patch related to such a behaviour.
>> Unfortunately, I just tried a kernel upgrade (which pulled in a new libc6)
>> which totally hosed my RAID/LVM. It took me the better part of the evening
>> to get the RAID working again on the old kernel, so now I'm quite wary of
>> further kernel upgrades until/unless I figure out what happened there.
> That can happen, unfortunately. It'd be good to know the kernel version,
> however, which caused the problem with RAID/LVM.

I was using 2.6.8 from Debian stable; the upgrade to 2.6.14 hosed the LVM.
RAID actually was fine according to /proc/mdstat, but LVM was segfaulting on
vgscan, which as far as I could tell was more of a sympton than the real
problem. But I couldn't figure it out, and when I returned to 2.6.8, it
still didn't work. After some combination of bringing the RAID up and down,
flushing the LVM cache file, running the vg* tools, etc., it finally came
back up, although I can't really tell you why.

>> So are there no diagnostics, absent rebuilding with netfilters debugging on,
>> for tracing a packet in between mangle PREROUTING and nat PREROUTING?
> Without further aid, no.

Okay, so I've rebuilt 2.6.8 with NETFILTER_DEBUG=Y. What would be the next
step? From what I can tell, NETFILTER_DEBUG isn't something turned on and
off in /proc/net or /proc/sys/net, it just is "on," but I'm not quite sure
what sort of debug messages we should be trying to get and how.
--
Adam Rosi-Kessel
http://adam.rosi-kessel.org