Re: Why would certain packets not reach nat PREROUTING chain?

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005, Adam Rosi-Kessel wrote:

> Jozsef Kadlecsik wrote:
> >> Okay--would it be sufficient to grep on port 500? conntrack tracks by port,
> >> right? So as long as there are *no* entries in ip_conntrack for port 500 at
> >> any point while I'm trying to make this connection, doesn't it mean that
> >> conntrack isn't handling the packets?
> > Yes. And if conntrack does not handle them, NAT won't do either.
>
> Actually, now that I've *triple*-checked, I got a different result. I'm not
> sure why this wasn't happening before, or if I was misreading the
> ip_conntrack table, but now I *am* seeing the connection in question on port
> 500.  It is marked as ASSURED which I understand to mean that two way
> traffic has occurred.

Yes. Do you see the effect of the NAT table on the conntrack entry?

> So, setting aside the question of why I wasn't seeing that before, shouldn't
> I be able to see the incoming packets as they are routed to the internal
> client machine, even if they are tracked connections?  When I watch the
> inward-facing interface with tcpdump, I don't see any of these packets
> getting routed to that machine, although I do see the outbound packets.

I don't clearly understand you here. It is always best to run tcpdump on
both interfaces so that one can compare what packets are routed properly
and how they were mangled/NAT-ed by the firewall. If some packets are
missing from either side then that's a clear sign that those packets were
dropped by either a matching rule/policy or by the system itself.

Did the logging produce anything?

Best regards,
Jozsef
-