Re: Identd requests through firewall

/dev/rob0 wrote:
On Sunday 2005-November-13 10:45, Robby Workman wrote:

What I would like to do is forward the request to one of the boxes
behind the firewall (whichever one is attempting a connection with an
IRC server).  I know how to forward them all to one of the individual
machines (say box 1), but this does not help if I'm using one of the
other boxes to connect.

Perhaps an easier solution than a patch of the IRC helper driver to handle auth requests: run midentd on your firewall machine.
    http://freshmeat.net/projects/midentd/
Haven't tried it, myself. You would need to ACCEPT auth at the firewall (INPUT chain). Probably the only way around that is the aforementioned patch.

Thanks for the response; I agree that midentd appears to fit the bill. However, I must admit that I'm surprised that a patch for this doesn't exist - I wish had a the knowledge to do it...

RW

--

http://rlworkman.net