Re: TCP_CONNTRACK_ESTABLISHED 5days

Mohamed Eldesoky wrote:
On 5/2/05, Mogens Valentin <monz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Taylor, Grant wrote:

Moritz, thanks for pointing that out.
Your suggested 10 minutes seems a bit short, though..

I would not set ip_conntrack_tcp_timeout_established to any thing lower
than tcp_fin_timeout.  I would be tempted to set
ip_conntrack_tcp_timeout_established to approximately double what
tcp_fin_timeout is set to.  I don't know of any reason that conntrack
would need to keep things for twice tcp_fin_timeout, but I'd rather be
safe than sorry.  Besides even double of tcp_fin_timeout is CONSIDERABLY
less than 5 days.

Hmm, dunno if various distros set tcp_fin_timeout differently. With 2.6.10, it's 60 secs (not a distro kernel, and I didn't set this). Are you saying that Mouritz' 10mins will in some (distro?) cases violate ip_conntrack_tcp_timeout_established >= tcp_fin_timeout * 2 ?

In debian3.1 it is 5 days too !!!

Yes, it's kernel defined, distros doesn't set it any differently, AFAIK.

The question now, what troubles would happen if we kep it/changed it !?!?!

None. When sessions timeout, so be it. When need be, a new session will be setup. Works fine for me now.

--
Kind regards,
Mogens Valentin

Horse dropping have an easy life, they don't have to work and can smoke.. -- Mogens Valentin