Re: input filter

On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 02:30:43PM -0800, Bhasker Allam wrote:
> There are a few situations that I can think of:
>
> - A spurious host/hosts sending garbage packets. If I
> know either source IP/subnet or mac address I can put
> in a filter and drop all the packets from spurious
> souces with minimal effort. Why should I spend cycles
> doing the route lookup ?

-t mangle PREROUTING is an acceptable place to do "first things first"
filtering/packet scrubbing.  it's where i do things like anti-spoofing
rules and invalid TCP flag combo rules.

> - I could do policy based routing. That is, I want
> packets from interface X or subnet S to go out on
> interface Y all the rest go via the normal routing
> path. From what I read this is not possible now.

whatcha been reading?  it's certainly possible:

  http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.rpdb.html

> - If I use my linux box a router I could have policies
> on different interface to do different things. For
> example, I might not want packets arriving from
> certain sources to reach certain destinations. It does
> not matter whether I am forwarding or not. You could
> say I could put that in the output filter, but my
> argument why should I have go through route lookup if
> I don't have to ?

you're starting to toe the line as to what should go in your normal
filter rules here--but that's just IMHO.

-j

--
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."
        --The Simpsons