Upper limit of users for iptables firewall

Hi,
My Redhat linux 9.0 gateway server is with iptables
firewall. I am defining security rules based on mac
address of 400 users.
My server configure is
1) Intel Pentium IV 2.4 Ghz processor.
2) 512 MB DD RAM
3) 40 GB hard disc.

Will it be able to server request of 400 users?
I am doubtfull about performance of iptables firewall
for this load but want to avoid commercial firewall.

Has anybody used Iptables firewall for this user
traffic or more than this.
Please guide me for same.

Thanks for support.

slow fireawll Can someone give ideaWhat