Re: Upper limit of users for iptables firewall

On Thu, 2004-10-14 at 03:46, ads nat wrote:
> Hi,
> My Redhat linux 9.0 gateway server is with iptables
> firewall. I am defining security rules based on mac
> address of 400 users.
> My server configure is
> 1) Intel Pentium IV 2.4 Ghz processor.
> 2) 512 MB DD RAM
> 3) 40 GB hard disc.
>
> Will it be able to server request of 400 users?
> I am doubtfull about performance of iptables firewall
> for this load but want to avoid commercial firewall.
>
> Has anybody used Iptables firewall for this user
> traffic or more than this.
> Please guide me for same.
>
> Thanks for support.
>

> slow fireawll Can someone give ideaWhat

what size pipe are you trying to firewall?  while the number of users
behind a firewall is relevant--the amount of bandwidth that needs to be
filtered has more of an influence on the performance requirements.

1000 users behind a firewall with a T1 connection can only ever push
1.54 Mbps through the firewall--which is nothing.

100 users behind a firewall with a OC-3 connection would have a
drastically greater hardware requirement.

in any case--a P4 2.4 with 512 MB of RAM is pretty healthy box.  and in
the grand scheme, 400 users isn't really a huge amount.  i have a P3 800
MHz with 384 MB of RAM server-class machine on a 4 Mbps connections for
about that many users that isn't breaking a sweat.

-j

--
Jason Opperisano <opie@xxxxxxxxxxx>