Re: Need help with rate-limiting NTTP traffic

On Thursday 01 April 2004 12:54 am, Shane Hickey wrote:

> 	Basically, I have a fat upstream pipe and I can use it basically
> all I want, except that my NNTP traffic seems to really clobber
> everything else.  Also, since my NNTP traffic is pretty much constantly
> ongoing, I'd like to limit it to 800kbit.

What are you using as your NNTP server?   If it's INN, I'm pretty sure that
has its own rate-limiting mechanism as a configuration parameter, and you'd
be better off doing rate limiting in the application itself if it's at all
possible.

Even if you're using something other than INN, have a look at the
configuration options for the server and see if you can solve this problem
there before resorting to netfilter and tc.

Regards,

Antony.

--
This email was created using 100% recycled electrons.

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.