Re: Adding a flag to a packet

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 22:23:33 +0100,
Someone named Antony Stone <Antony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tuesday 30 March 2004 10:06 pm, Cody Harris wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 21:50:40 +0100, Antony Stone wrote:
> > >
> > > Okay.   You want a VPN (I use http://www.freeswan.org), a simple IP
> > > tunnel
> > > (http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Adv-Routing-HOWTO/lartc.tunnel.ip-ip.html), or
> > > else some clever DNAT rules one end, and SNAT rules the other.
> >
> > So i *can't* simple mark a packet with a flag that the other one can see?
>
> No.   The MARK is not a part of the actual packet or header - it's just
> something that netfilter associates with the packet whilst it's processing
> it.   Once the packet leaves the box, it's just a plain packet again, and the
> MARK is gone.
>
> > What if i change the ttl to something like 1000 and match it with a rule on
> > the other end (too weed out any other instances of this).
>
> Well, the TTL field is only 8 bits, so the maximum value is 255 :)   But
> anyway, you're trying to make custard by boiling a chicken.   It's just the
> wrong way to approach the problem.
>
> Netfilter is a Firewall, and it can also do a bit of NATting.   It's bad
> enough when people try to make it do (local) routing, let alone attempt to
> convert it into a VPN.
>
> There are other ways to do what you want, and the IP tunnel solution is not at
> all complicated (however it is not at all secure, either - packets are
> transferred across the Internet between the two networks with no encryption
> or other attempt to hide the contents).

Would the VPN also transmit the lan-based packets (such as the ones needed to run games).

Anyways, it feels like i know you presonnally now...hows the wife and the kids? Hehehe. I could actually carry out this coversation on an imclient. But i feel we're just about done. If you *do*, and you have msn add charris@xxxxxxxxxxx

--