Re: Not forwarding?

On Sunday 28 March 2004 9:43 pm, David Cannings wrote:

> On Sunday 28 March 2004 20:52, Cody Harris wrote:
> > This is my firewall setup:
> > Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
> > target     prot opt source               destination
> > ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
> > ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere           icmp
> > echo-reply ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere
> > icmp destination-unreachable ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere
> > anywhere           icmp redirect ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere
> >   anywhere           icmp echo-request ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere
> >         anywhere           icmp time-exceeded ACCEPT     tcp  --
> > anywhere             192.168.0.2        tcp dpt:ssh
> > We have noticed that ssh isn't getting forwarded. What's wrong?
>
> What about the replies from SSH which will come from source port 22?
> Either add a rule to explicitly allow from sport ssh or add an
> ESTABLISHED/RELATED rule in there.

That might be covered by the first rule:

> > ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere

We won't know until we see the output of a listing with -v to show us the
interfaces too.

However your point about there being no ESTABLISHED,RELATED rule is a good one
- it suggests that netfilter is not being used statefully, which means it is
very difficult to make the system (a) work and (b) secure at the same time.

Regards,

Antony.

--
Wanted: telepath.   You know where to apply.

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.