Re: How to NAT inside a LAN over a single Interface

On Fri, 2003-12-19 at 09:26, Jeffrey Laramie wrote:
> Dietmar Hofer wrote:
> > I haven't found anythink clearing my problem doing some research in
> > this list, nevertheless I'm sorry if you find my question annoying
> > 'cos I'm quite new to this issue.
> >
> > I'm in a class B LAN and would make a Machine work as Gateway for
> > another, both in the same network. This because the Internet Gateway
> > accepts only requests of registered Interfaces (MAC-based).
> > The Machine which I want to let do this has only one eth-Interface.
> > what in theory should be enough.
> > I set up NAT with "iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j
> > MASQUERADE" and changed the route on the source machine to use the
> > other as gateway.
> > When pinging from the source machine, "/var/log/syslog" on the
> > gateway shows me this requests:
> >
> > Dec 18 22:42:44 hogwart kernel: IN=eth0 OUT=eth0 SRC=192.168.2.201
> > DST=192.168.2.150 LEN=8
> > 4 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=63 ID=0 DF PROTO=ICMP TYPE=8 CODE=0 ID=7294
> > SEQ=1
> >
> > But I don't get an answer on the source machine, (while naturally i
> > can ping the given IP from the gateway itself).
> > In a HOWTO I found the hint that doing NAT with only 1 Interface for
> > input and output may not work with this config 'cos since kernel 2.4
> > some sort of ICMP redirections doesn't work or so...
> >
> > What I want to know is just what I've to do to use this machine as
> > gateway with only one interface.
> > Hope you can help
>
> I'm afraid I've never heard of a configuration where you use the same
> NIC for both input and output. I doubt this would work for numerous
> reasons, but even if it did, why bother? A NIC is $19.95 and a patch
> cable is a few bucks. Wouldn't it be much easier to install another
> NIC and avoid all the routing headaches?
>
> Jeff

It may be that you are getting a reply from the Internet Gateway to your
NATing gateway. However, due to a variety of reasons like rp_filter, the
machines being on the same LAN etc, the NATting gateway might be
dropping the packet because it "feels" that the packet direction doesn't
make sense.

In any case, try this out.

Get the vconfig utility from
http://www.candelatech.com/~greear/vlan.html

Create 2 seperate logical ethernet devices (eth0.0 (?), eth0.1, ...) and
then play with them. Not sure, if iptables will accept logical
interfaces.

--

Ranjeet Shetye
Senior Software Engineer

The views, opinions, and judgements expressed in this message are solely
those of the author. The message contents have not been reviewed or
approved by Zultys.