Re: How to NAT inside a LAN over a single Interface

Dietmar Hofer wrote:
I haven't found anythink clearing my problem doing some research in this list, nevertheless I'm sorry if you find my question annoying 'cos I'm quite new to this issue.

I'm in a class B LAN and would make a Machine work as Gateway for another, both in the same network. This because the Internet Gateway accepts only requests of registered Interfaces (MAC-based).
The Machine which I want to let do this has only one eth-Interface. what in theory should be enough.
I set up NAT with "iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE" and changed the route on the source machine to use the other as gateway.
When pinging from the source machine, "/var/log/syslog" on the gateway shows me this requests:

Dec 18 22:42:44 hogwart kernel: IN=eth0 OUT=eth0 SRC="" DST=192.168.2.150 LEN=8
4 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=63 ID=0 DF PROTO=ICMP TYPE=8 CODE=0 ID=7294 SEQ=1

But I don't get an answer on the source machine, (while naturally i can ping the given IP from the gateway itself).
In a HOWTO I found the hint that doing NAT with only 1 Interface for input and output may not work with this config 'cos since kernel 2.4 some sort of ICMP redirections doesn't work or so...

What I want to know is just what I've to do to use this machine as gateway with only one interface.
Hope you can help

I'm afraid I've never heard of a configuration where you use the same NIC for both input and output. I doubt this would work for numerous reasons, but even if it did, why bother? A NIC is $19.95 and a patch cable is a few bucks. Wouldn't it be much easier to install another NIC and avoid all the routing headaches?

Jeff