Re: Changes in kernel >= 2.4.20 ? -> YES

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 09:19:06 -0500
Alistair Tonner <Alistair@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On November 19, 2003 05:50 am, Martin Petruzzi wrote:

> > > 	Doing this works, but you are forcing yourself to a certain size which
> > > 	1) might be smaller than optimal,
> > > 	2) could change one night unexpectedly.
> > >
> > > 	Personally I trust the clamp mss to mtu ... it works.
> > > 	(for what its worth .. my MTU is somewhat larger than that...
> > > 	on a GVC DSL modem to ALCATEL DsLAM)
> >
> > Is there a way to find out what DSLAM device my provider has or even better
> > what mtu it uses?
>
> 	There is signature data in an ethereal TCP dump from the ethernet devices
> that connect to the modem, but I'm not sure about what your modem does.  On
> my GVC modem I can log into it, and it appears to be able to decode the DsLam
> type from what it gets on the line.

And how do I get that signature? Pardon me if that is a stupid question...

> > I guess/claim that the support people of my provider don't know that and it
> > would cost me a fortune to confirm this suspect. But if I'm right, you say
> > with the clamp rule the problem is solved (seems to by dynamic then) and I
>
> 	it is indeed dynamic. --- I only noticed the differences due to a borked win
> 3.11 tcp stack. -- it REALLY doesn't behave well... (WFW ... Workgroups ..
> yeah...    it seemd to blatantly disregard the concept of PMTU discovery...
> might not have been in there at all from the way it behaved)
>
> > don't need to know at all? Any idea why this was no problem with kernels <
> > 2.4.20 (only wondering, not a need to know)?
>
> 	I would suspect that you changed something in your kernel compile at 2.4.20
> that caused this ... I don't think ipMTU functionality has changed much in
> any of the kernels from 2.4.9 up. -- possibly path ipmtu disocovery ... but
> not sure. -- it could be that you opened up the MTU on your LAN device and
> didn't notice it ...

I claim no, I actually did a make oldconfig with the .config of 2.4.14 and only added the Speedtouch module, which is new since 2.4.22 (of the stable ones), and I saw the same problem on an other box with a Fritz!DSL earlier (with 2.4.20), it was just a couple of webpages that didn't work there (lots less than with my box), and the configuration (as well as the provider) were the same apart from different DSL device. Also I noticed that i.e. RedHat rpms want a kernel 2.4.20 or later with their latest iptables update, that's how I came to this idea in the beginning. But anyway, it'd just be interesting to know, not necessairy.

> > By the way, I found the number 1430 a couple of times in different other
> > maillists to be the size always working with the Alcatel Speedtouch USB, I
> > have no idea about a technical background of exactly that size.
>
> 	As I pointed out the # will vary depending on the configuration of the device
> on the other end .. .look at the defined MTU of your ppp device when it comes
> up .. .thats your maximum ... and should always be (at least 8 bytes) less
> than the MTU of the ethernet device which is connected to the modem.
> 	(on a side note ... dunno if this true for USB modems... hmm
> 	 my DSL is pppoe - my modem is connected by ethernet to a NIC on
> 	my box .. )
>    MSS is MTU - (sum of all packet headers) -- i.e. PPP packet header + TCP
> packet header + whatever proprietary subspecies you might have packet header
> 	if I recall correctly .. (and if I don't someone will jump all over me) --
> 	with DSL the ppp tunnel adds a ppp wrapper packet around the  TCP/UDP/
> whatever packet.(again --- if I recall correctly)  this ppp packet has an 8
> byte header .. .it makes life easier on the system as a whole if the TCP/UDP
> packets are bundled correctly at the source, and small enough to withstand
> having the 8 bytes wrapped around them and still fit through the PPP tunnel
> in a single go.

Thank you for the explanation.

> 	Specially considering that there are some OS out there that don't understand
> the idea of PMTU discovery.

Martin