Re: Changes in kernel >= 2.4.20 ? -> YES

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 20:43:18 -0500
Alistair Tonner <Alistair@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > For other Alcatel users reading this, put:
> > mtu 1430
> > mru 1430
> > ...into /etc/ppp/options
>
> 	Doing this works, but you are forcing yourself to a certain size which
> 	1) might be smaller than optimal,
> 	2) could change one night unexpectedly.
>
> 	Personally I trust the clamp mss to mtu ... it works.
> 	(for what its worth .. my MTU is somewhat larger than that...
> 	on a GVC DSL modem to ALCATEL DsLAM)

Is there a way to find out what DSLAM device my provider has or even better what mtu it uses?

I guess/claim that the support people of my provider don't know that and it would cost me a fortune to confirm this suspect. But if I'm right, you say with the clamp rule the problem is solved (seems to by dynamic then) and I don't need to know at all? Any idea why this was no problem with kernels < 2.4.20 (only wondering, not a need to know)?

By the way, I found the number 1430 a couple of times in different other maillists to be the size always working with the Alcatel Speedtouch USB, I have no idea about a technical background of exactly that size.

Martin