Re: Changes in kernel >= 2.4.20 ? -> YES

On November 18, 2003 12:22 pm, Martin Petruzzi wrote:
> Alistair, Mark
>
> On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 08:31:21 -0500
>
> Alistair Tonner <Alistair@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > 	Running slackware and 2.4.x kernels, I have NOT had to change my
> > iptables rules from 2.4.9 through 2.4.22. on iptables 1.2.7a
> > 	I have yet to upgrade to latest iptables ... but note that this is
> > likely a kernel config issue.   ... perhaps tcp_ecn got turned on
> > somewhere? ipmtu issue maybe? are you on DSL?
>
> On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 20:19:58 -0800
>
> "Mark E. Donaldson" <markee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Are you sure you're not having a PMTU problem?  It's unlikely that
> > iptables will work sometimes but not others.  Try adding this rule:
> >
> > $IPT -t filter -A FORWARD -p tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST SYN -j TCPMSS
> > --clamp-mss-to-pmtu
>
> You are both right with MTU! And, yes Alistair I am on DSL with an Alcatel
> Speedtouch USB.
>
> I didn't have to add the mentioned roule to iptables, it was enough to add
> the mtu/mru options in the pppd-options.

	The advantage of putting in the clamp rule is that you end up with the max
MSS possible on each connection.  I've seen three different sizes on my DSL
connection depending on what DsLAM I bind to on the other end.  It eliminates
guessing and gets you the largest possible size.   Your system (the firewall)
will always have this advantage, but you need to put the rule in the FORWARD
chain so that your clients (inside) get the benefit of the largest transfer
unit possible.
  (i've been through a few changes lately and I tell ya .. DsLam configuration
must be a completely lost art amongst the techies... *sigh*)

> For other Alcatel users reading this, put:
> mtu 1430
> mru 1430
> ...into /etc/ppp/options

	Doing this works, but you are forcing yourself to a certain size which
	1) might be smaller than optimal,
	2) could change one night unexpectedly.

	Personally I trust the clamp mss to mtu ... it works.
	(for what its worth .. my MTU is somewhat larger than that...
	on a GVC DSL modem to ALCATEL DsLAM)

> You still see the messages (which confused me):
> ... pppd[...]: Couldn't increase MTU to 1500
> ... pppd[...]: Couldn't increase MRU to 1500

	Normal ... pppd by default tries to make the MTU/MRU as big as possible on
these connections to increase efficiency .... its just hit a limit.

--

	Alistair Tonner
	nerdnet.ca

     Any sufficiently advanced technology will have the appearance of magic.
	Lets get magical!