Changes in kernel >= 2.4.20 ?

Hello

Apparently there have been changes in kernel since 2.4.20 concerning netfilters. NAT, masqerading, forwarding or whatever it is called does not work the same as before. I have the rules as following:

#!/bin/bash
/sbin/modprobe iptable_nat
/opt/sbin/iptables -F
/opt/sbin/iptables -X
/opt/sbin/iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
and so on.

This worked perfect with kernels < 2.4.20. Now I'm on 2.4.22 and NAT only works partially. The system is RH7.2. I tried the latest iptables from updates.redhat.com and also compiled the latest from netfilter.org. I had no errors at all, nor while compiling (kernel/iptables) neigther while installing or inserting the roules.

The behaviour is:
- ftp works fine
- http works partially (i.e. google works but most websites do not).
- ssh connections do work, certain commands ok, but for example "last" hangs.

This behaviour is reproducable.

Latest iptables also work fine with older kernel (that's how I run it now).

Any idea, what the problem is? What do I need to change?

Thank you very much.

Martin