Re: STATELESS

On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 06:57:13PM +0200, Cedric Blancher spoke thusly:
>Le mar 16/09/2003 ? 17:50, Ramin Dousti a ?crit :
>> > Can I ask you why do you want  to turn off the conntrack?
>> I don't. I just wanted to learn from the people who were saying "just don't
>> load the ip_conntrack..."
>
>I assume that if someone wants to fallback on stateless filtering is for
>saving load on his box. I can miss something, but I really don't see
>another reason. Once ip_conntrack is loaded, all packets are tracked
>anyway, weither you use state match or not. Yes, one can write a whole
>stateless ruleset with conntrack running, but what's the point : the cost
>implied by a rule with state matching and one without is the same, as
>state flaging is done anyway !
>
>That's why assuming that stateless is for save load implies ip_conntrack
>module removal. But, as it relies on conntrack, NAT is broken. It is as
>simple as this.

(snip)

In regards to system load (stateful vs non-stateful) -- the following paper
states that might not always be the case. YMMV of course.

http://www.benzedrine.cx/pf-paper.html

Furthermore, the pf performance tricks do seem rather nice to me :-) But
I'm not a coder, so the logic complexity might be excessive.