Re: destinations interface must be eth0?

On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 11:10:41AM -0700, Jim Carter spoke thusly:
>On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, Jim Burnett wrote:

(snip)

>To save a round of back-and forth, let me make a guess...  You have two
>independent web sites and each is assigned a different IP address.
>Perhaps you even have two independent instances of Apache, each listening
>to its own interface.  This is kind of overkill.  If I were setting it up,
>I would have DNS CNAMEs mapping both alphabetic names to the same IP
>address, and just one interface on the box, and just one instance of
>Apache.  Then I would set up a virtual host for each client site (the main
>instance would be just for administration).  Apache distinguishes the sites
>by the name in the URL, not the IP address.  This is the preferred method
>for commercial web hosting companies.  I use it for my HTTPS service.

Your setup of 1 IP hosting multiple websites will work if its only dealing
with HTTP. With HTTPS - you have to split the IP or port numbers, because
the SSL tunnel gets established prior to parsing of the HTTP/1.1 Host:
header. You could still do it, but you'd get bogus certs for different
FQDNs which might not look nice if you are a e-commerce site.