Granularity of ipq_read timeout

Hello all,
I was curious, is the granularity of the ipq_read()
timeout field really down to the microsecond level?

I am running on linux (RH, but with the 2.4.20 kernel
so I could patch for bridge + iptables) and seem to be
having a problem with small timeout values.

If i use something like:

gettimeofday(&starttime,&null_tx);
status=ipq_read(qh,buffer,BUFFER_SIZE,timeout);
gettimeofday(&endtime,&null_tx);

I notice that my delta from the endtime-startime is
larger than the timeout value.  Can ipq_read()
actually timeout on the single digit microsecond
level?

-Scott