iptables, PPTP, and actually making it all work!

Hello,
I have a small network at my house (where I work out of, lucky me!) and
I have been running Linux 7.3 and ipchains for sometime now.  I have a
Linux 8 box built and ready to roll, but everytime I try to get it
running, I run into roadblocks.  The issues are this.
1) When I first get everything running I have access to the internet
from my firewall box through eth0, I setup iptables to masquerade all,
that is all I do... it worked in the past, but seems to not be working
now.  I can't even ping eth1 from inside my network.
2) I need to do PPTP through my iptables firewall and I can't...

I'm very confused and frustrated, this has been going on for about a
month and I can't find any help.  anyone that can help would be GREATLY
appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
KJ