Re: sniffing the forwarded packets

On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 04:05:28PM -0500, Patrick Ahler wrote:
> What can I use to view the packets passing through my router/firewall? I've
> tried tethereal but that only seems to be able to capture on the specific
> devices (eth1 or eth2) not the packets being forwarded, can anyone help?

  Unfortunately that's just how it works.  Any packet sniffer attaches
to a device and only sees the packets that go through that specific
device.

  The best you can do is run multiple sniffers, one per interface.
*Possibly* you might be able to use tcpdump for this and then write
something to interleave the packets from the timestamps.

-Ath
--
- Athanasius = Athanasius(at)miggy.org / http://www.miggy.org/
                  Finger athan(at)fysh.org for PGP key