RE: sniffing the forwarded packets

'sniffing' usually refers to listening on a specific interface - that's
why the tools you tried, do that.

I have found that by first declaring what I am looking for, I can
usually get a good idea of it by tcpdump, etc.  In other words - if I
want to know who from my LAN 192.168.0.* is going where, I look at the
internal interface and grep for port 80:
tcpdump -i eth0 port 80

If I need to know why an IPSec tunnel isn't coming up, I look at the
external interface and grep for those packets:
tcpdump -i eth2 port 500

I used to use ksnuffle to dump all the daily packets on the inside LAN
going to 80 to a file and then did some grepping through for a report of
internet usage; now I redirect port 80 to squid and use squid data files
for my reports

aldo