Re: chance to impress the suits

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 08:17:33 -0600 (CST),
Jason <baker@cyborgworkshop.com> wrote in message
<Pine.LNX.4.50.0302270811550.19694-100000@alfred.home.cyborgworkshop.co
m>:

> What we have is a server that makes as many connections to an
> application as it can.   Its supposed to be a realtime app, so this is
> desired behaviour.

...says the guys who can't get that grip???

> Unfortunatly, the app is owned by a different group that can't
> seem to get a grip on how much hardware they need. So we max them out,
> and their solution when they hit too many connections is to allow the
> port to be opened by the client (us)  but never send any data or a RST
> or anything! So my server ends up with tens of thousands of
> connections in wait and I end up running out of threads pretty
> quickly.

..ah, an _authorized_ dos attack.  ;-)

> So my thought was by putting an iptables box in the stream
> with iplimit and either redirecting connections that go over a max
> count to a "sorry we're busy page" or denying the connection all
> together, I can save my machine until they get the hardware they need.

..this is where I fall off:  They need a smaller box to not dos attack
you, or a bigger box to not dos attack you???

> Is their perhaps a better method?  Right now I have to babysit my
> servers from 8pm to 3am and kill the route to their application when
> things get ugly.  Pretty nasty solution.

..played with the kernel settings in /proc/sys/net ?  You have
checked the Patch-o-matic stuff for ideas?

..I get the feeling the "real time" autorized dos attack application
should _re-use_ its own established connections, and make new
connections _only_ when needed, and, _destroy_ the old connections
as soon as they are no longer needed.  Pretty basic.  Does it?

..I don't see how an autorized dos attack application spraying
new network connections like crazy, can _ever_be_ "real time".

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: