Re: chance to impress the suits

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 02:01:04 -0500,
Joel Newkirk <netfilter@newkirk.us> wrote in message
<200302270201.04762.netfilter@newkirk.us>:

> On Wednesday 26 February 2003 06:57 pm, Jason wrote:
> >
> > iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp -i lan -m state --state NEW -m iplimit
> > --iplimit-above 1 -j REJECT

..<snip>

> Definitely the FORWARD chain, OUTPUT is for connections from the
> firewalling box itself.  Make sure this appears before any ACCEPT
> rules in your FORWARD chain, too.  Have you tried:
>
> iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -p tcp --syn --dport 80 -m iplimit
> --iplimit-above 500 -j REJECT
>
> This is almost precisely the format of the example rule for iplimit...
> I noticed you used "-i lan" above - is that a typo?  You have to
> specify a valid interface name, which my version presumes is eth0 for
> traffic from the LAN.

.." -i $lan "?  AFAICT, above rule is valid if "lan" is a substitute
for an ip address etc, for a variable, you will want to declare it,
some people like CAPS, for, say, " -i $LAN ", YMMV.

..you don't mention _why_ your suits want this.  Using un-throttled
802.11 links with some _cheap_ routers that rebooted! every time
they got 256 simultaneous connections for a client, I started with
throttling, then capping connections, and ended up wrapping all his
isp clients in vpn/poptop tunnels.  Poptop, because some people
still runs Wintendo 95, and my client like this business too.

..yup, my first client is an isp.  ;-)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: