chance to impress the suits

Hello,  I have been given a task that I think netfilter is ideal for, but
need a little help.  I need to be able to limit the number of connections
going through a router running netfilter to a max of 500. When I hit 500,
I want to reject any new connections. I know that the iplimit match does
this, but I don't seem to be having any luck getting it to work.  Here is
the scenario..

----                ----                ----
=A =  -> Port 80 -> +NF+  -> Port 80 -> =C =
----                ----                ----

Simple enough.  NF is my netfilter router, A is source, C is destination.
C is an application that when it gets overworked, pretty much tarpits
connecting clients and never lets go.  I have tried many permutations of

iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp -i lan -m state --state NEW -m iplimit
--iplimit-above 1 -j REJECT

with out much luck.  Does anyone have any idea on how to make iplimit in a
router situation work?  Should I apply this to the output chain?

--
Jason Baker
baker@cyborgworkshop.com