Re: /proc/net/ip_conntrack filling without ipt_conntrack.o loaded?

On Tue, 2003-01-14 at 17:01, Christian Hammers wrote:
> Yes, thought so, too. - The question that I was trying to ask in this
> thread was, why the /proc/net/ip_conntrack is filled by the kernel
> although I *already did* remove the module!

Well that's not supposed to happen :-)
What kernel version are you running ? modutils version ?
Is this reproducable upon every reboot ?
I am no expert on this, but part of the reason why
Rusty is rewriting the modules infrastructure in 2.5
is that module loading/unloading is inherently racy iirc.
You may have hit a race condition with one particular
chain of events.

> I would have guessed that just after I removed the ipt_conntrack module
> and all the sub modules (ipt_conntrack_ftp, nat etc) the
> /proc/net/ip_conntrack would either vanish or at least return nothing
> because the code at the other end of the virtual device has gone.

I've been giving it a few tries on my machine, and
ip_conntrack disappears nicely from /proc/net upon
unloads/reloads of ip_conntrack, even
with unreplied connections pending.

Have you already rebooted the box (this is no
Windows-advise - if something went wrong with
the module unload, there really isn't much
other choice :-) ) ?