Re: /proc/net/ip_conntrack filling without ipt_conntrack.o loaded?

On Tue, 2003-01-14 at 13:12, Christian Hammers wrote:
> Hello
>
> I had ipt_conntrack.o loaded (see last mail) and then removed. But still
> my /proc/net/ip_conntrack got filled up.
> Then I did "echo '10000' > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_conntrack_max" and it
> still raised.
> Now, after waiting 10min or so the values are slightly falling (I had
> fear that it crashed when reaching 0xffff)..
>
> Are the first two events signs for a bug or is it expected behaviour
> that somehow the conntrack code remains in the kernel even if the module
> has been removed?

You sure it's not due to a typo ? It's ip_conntrack.o, not
ipt_conntrack. After an rmmod, what does lsmod say ?

About the high nuber of tracked connections, are you
talking about /proc/net/ip_conntrack ?

Before thinking of a bug, you should get a clear view of
the type of traffic filling your connection tracking table.
broadcasts ? Are these primarily ESTABLISHED connections,
or UNREPLIED connections ? Are nimda infected IIS boxes
scanning the whole ipv4 address range through your machine ?
It takes only a couple of infected machines to generate a
lot of traffic.

So, what's the nature of the entries in /proc/net/ip_conntrack ?

Regards,
Filip