Re: lifecycle of a packet (OT)

Quoting Anders Fugmann <afu@fugmann.dhs.org>:
> Btw. Thanks for a great tutorial. Keep up the good work.

Yes, that tutorial really helps, thanks Oskar.  I think it should be
given some sort of "Official" status on the netfilter web site, and they
should definately link to yours instead of hosting an old version.

Just a few suggestions for the tutorial (take 'em or leave 'em ;):

General:
- it would be useful if the guide referred to the versions of
iptables/kernel for which it it is known to be valid

Traversing of tables and chains section:
- the version on netfilter.org is old, doesn't link to the original, and
has broken links (the rc.test-iptables.txt script, for example)
- might benefit from mentioning that EST/REL packets don't traverse the
NAT chain, and why
- as a newbie to iptables and the kernel network stack, I find it
easiest to think in context of an actual connection that I can test.  As
such, it might benefit from using example connections to illustrate,
such as in my original post, ie:
   masq client -> firewall
   masq client -> external
   firewall -> external
   firewall -> firewall  (thanks Joel Newkirk!)

Thanks Oskar, Joel, and Anders!