Re: netfilter digest, Vol 1 #514 - 7 msgs (was Re: portforwarding-HOWTO)

On Wednesday 08 January 2003 04:32 am, oarojo@intermediacorp.com wrote:
> Yes I'm using telnet from other network...

Please snip unrelated material out of a digest message when replying -
the other six messages had nothing to do with this...  A single-line
response with over 450 quoted lines is a big waste, especially since you
didn't sign the response making it appear that there might be more you
had added further on in the quoted part.

Also, you don't answer the first question I posed, or the one another
helpful participant offered.

You said you have a mail server behind your firewall and are trying to
DNAT connections to it from the internet.  You listed two DNAT rules
(which appeared correct) and two FORWARD rules to let the traffic reach
the mail server.  (which also appeared correct)

Since you don't offer much detail apart from this about the setup, we
asked if you have a rule allowing the return traffic back through the
FORWARD chain, and whether you have forwarding enabled with:
At least that's what I believe the other reply meant.  He actually asked
"Did you turn on Masquerading?", but MASQUERADE in iptables syntax is a
form of SNAT, while Masquerade in general is simply NAT used to hide
multiple machines, neither of which has any direct bearing on DNAT to a
mailserver, so I'm making a guess as to what the question really
intended.

Finally, you said you try telnetting to the IP, port 25, and get no
response.  Is there a service running on the mailserver that is properly
configured to respond to a telnet connection to port 25 from the
internet?  If this is the only DNAT you are attempting so far, you might
be better served trying it to port 80 with apache running on
192.168.0.5, until you confirm that your DNAT and FORWARD rules and
everything else are working as expected, THEN change over to port 25/110
with mail server (sendmail?) running and that way any failure at that
last step is then very likely a problem with mail configuration, rather
than firewall DNAT and forwarding.