Re: IPTables Feature set and performance.

Hi,

In addition to this, I have found one mention of throughput capabilities of iptables. According to this reference :http://www.hipac.org/ (The performance test links), iptables does have significant limitation of throughput when large (Sequential) rulesets are used. I believe under
Exactly.

ideal circumstances, and with carefull attention paid the impact can be minimised.
Exactly.

But simply consider the fact that some people do not write their fw rules by hand, they generate it via a meta language layer. It is apparent that the generation of rulesets which span over multiple packet filter instances are implicit non-optimised.

Also consider the fact that the way nf-hipac is implemented, the matching rule lookup will always be equally or faster to netfilter's table lookup per definition and code.

I haven't replicated the tests, and also do not know how authoritative the tests are.
Preliminary tests were done by me and you can certainly consider them to be authoritative. Unfortunately due to health reasons and limited spare time I had to stop further tests. I will pick up the conduct of tests maybe in the beginning of next year. Together with a friend of mine I've also written a paper (for a link, please search this mailinglist archive) about the inefficiencies of various rule matching algorithms based on observation, pragmatic testing and code reading.

If the tests results are accurate, this might help in making comparisons and decision making. Does anyone have evidence to backup the findings of nf-hipac peaple?
I do have some numbers and I have posted them to various mailinglists. Also if you go to the nf-hipac page itself, you see a quite a convincing test result.

Best regards,
Roberto Nibali, ratz
--
echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq' | dc