Re: IPTables Feature set and performance.

hard__ware wrote:

I belive you cant Mangle Packets as well on PIX Firewall
Such as TTL Values & MSS Clamps,

here are some things on why i consider netfilter over any other product for
now ..

1) its easy to understand & it works well
2) Completely Open Source Project
3) Using the help from www.lartc.org QoS can be seamlessly intergrated

4) Squid + Netfilter also offers more advantages like
Speedy Web Cache & ACL Rules to Block ADs ect,

5) IPTState is a good utillity for showing your Connections Through & Too
your netfilter firewall

6) IPTables Allows you to set Variables for its ip_conntrack_helpers such as
ftp & irc like,
the Default Port No: to track is 21 this can be changed to Many or Just One
using sysctrl options

7) Kernel Level Networking & Filtering /w Linux ..
have you got a problem, well if your good enough you
can make changes to your kernel / modules that will
improve / manipulate the way your IP V4 Box works.

In addition to this, I have found one mention of throughput capabilities of iptables. According to this reference :http://www.hipac.org/ (The performance test links), iptables does have significant limitation of throughput when large (Sequential) rulesets are used. I believe under ideal circumstances, and with carefull attention paid the impact can be minimised.

I haven't replicated the tests, and also do not know how authoritative the tests are.
If the tests results are accurate, this might help in making comparisons and decision making. Does anyone have evidence to backup the findings of nf-hipac peaple?

Cheers,
Michael