Re: Too many ARP entries and Re: sendto: No buffer space available

On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 12:27:24PM -0200, andre.correa@pobox.com wrote:
> We   see   my   linux  box  asking  for MAC addresses of hosts outside
> its "local" network and my gateway, a Cisco 2621 answering those
> broadcasts with its own MAC address.
>
> For  what  I know, both are doing wrong. My box is not supposed to ask
> for those MACs and the Cisco is not supposed to answer.
Your cisco is configured to do proxy-arp. This might be a policy
decision. I have proxy-arp on, because I have very small subnets,
but pretend to be a /24 to the customers. Nobody notices it.

The only fault in your setup is that you probably have:
ip route add default dev <internetdev>

Be aware that ip route show might not show you the details.
If you do for example this:
ip route add 172.16.0.1/32 dev eth0
ip route add default via 172.16.0.1
ip route del 172.16.0.1/32 dev eth0
you would see a natural "gatewayed" route, but with something
peculiar: 172.16.0.1 was local at the time of addition, so it
will send everything to the interface as local traffic, not
gatewayed!

route -n will tell you the real routing. Eh, but only for the
main routing table... :-).
Anyway: fix your default gateway.
--
procedure signature;